|Region ||Product Definition
||Three phase electric motors from 0.73kW to <185kW. MEPS does not apply to submersible motors, integral motor-gear systems, variable or multi-speed motors or those rated only for short duty cycles (IEC 60034-2 duty rating S2). Rewound motors are not required to comply with MEPS.
Generally an electric motor is one which is three-phase induction with an output power rating of 0.746 to 375 kW (1 to 500 hp) and a NEMA or IEC type design. This includes any motor that is incorporated into another product.
Specifically an electric motor is a motor that:
- is rated for continuous duty operation
- is a design type that is an electric three-phase induction design; a cage or squirrel-cage design; and a name design A, B, or C with NEMA T or U frame dimensions, or IEC design N or H
- is designed to operate at a single speed
- has a nominal output power of not less than 0.746 kW (1HP) and not more than 375 kW (500 HP)
- has a nominal voltage of not more than 600 V AC
- has a nominal frequency of 60/60 Hz or 60 Hz
- has a two, four, six or eight pole construction
- has an IP code from 00 to 66
- is of open or enclosed construction
- is of foot-mounted construction or flange-mounted construction and
- has a standard shaft, R-shaft or S-shaft, or is a close-coupled pump motor or a vertically-mounted solid shaft normal thrust motor
but does not include
- a NEMA design A or C motor of more than 150 kW (200 HP) and not more than 375 kW (500 HP) or an IEC design H motor of more than 150 kW (200 HP) and not more than 375 kW (500 HP)
Covers motors of power range 0,75 to 375 kW. The definition of motors is electric single speed motors with 3-phase 50 Hz or 60 Hz or 50/60 Hz, squirrel cage induction motors in accordance with IEC 60034-1. Additional parameters (rated voltage, rated output, poles) are also specified in Annex II. This kind of motor usually figures in industrial fans, pumps and compressors.
This energy efficiency label applies to 3 phase squirrel cage induction motor in 2 Pole and 4 Pole for continuous duty (S1) operation at suitable for voltage and frequency variation as per IS 12615:2004 with the following output rating 0.75 kW, 1.1 kW, 1.5 kW, 2.2 kW, 3.7 kW, 5.5 kW, 7.5 kW, 9.3 kW, 11 kW and 15 kW.
3 Phase Induction motor shall be the rated output of 0.75kW ~ 200kW
||1 Phase: Standards NOM-014-ENER-2004 applies to single-phase squirrel cage air-cooled induction AC motors with a rated output of 0.180 kW to 1.500 kW, with single rotation frequency, 2, 4 or 6 poles, split phase or capacitor start, open or closed
3 Phase: Standard NOM-016-ENER-2010 applies to three-phase squirrel cage induction AC motors with a rated output of 0.746 kW to 373 kW, open or closed, with a rated voltage up to 600 V, with single rotation frequency, in horizontal or vertical position.
||The statutory definition of “electric motor,” to mean a machine which converts electrical power into rotational mechanical power and which: (1) Is a general purpose motor, including motors with explosion-proof construction2 ; (2) is a single speed, induction motor; (3) is rated for continuous duty operation, or is rated duty type S–1 (IEC)3 ; (4) contains a squirrel-cage or cage (IEC) rotor; (5) has foot-mounting, including foot-mounting with flanges or detachable feet; (6) is built in accordance with NEMA T-frame dimensions, or IEC metric equivalents (IEC); (7) has performance in accordance with NEMA Design A or B characteristics, or equivalent designs such as IEC Design N (IEC); and (8) operates on polyphase alternating current 60-Hertz sinusoidal power, and is (i) rated 230 volts or 460 volts, or both, including any motor that is rated at multi-voltages that include 230 volts or 460 volts, or (ii) can be operated on 230 volts or 460 volts, or both.